Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Mausi

"Mausi" or "Masi" is a hindi word which literally means "like a mother". In India, it is a word used to address mother's sister. Since childhood, this term was almost synonymous with "Danapur wali Mausi" for me. Danapur is a small town in the state of Bihar in India. She was named Urvashi by my grandparents. However, my father didn't like us to address our elders by first names and so the above name came into use by us (me and my sisters).

What should I write about her? She had such a huge influence on me right since my childhood. Such an intelligent lady!! I am overawed by her simplicity and the kindness she had for all and sundry. I never noticed it while I was a kid. One so takes things for granted in life; but when it is taken away, the emptiness one feels is beyond any comparison! I believe she had a soft corner for me as the youngest kid in my maternal family tree. I have beautiful memories of her often coming down to our home in Bokaro. I would wait for her autorickshaw to arrive from the Railway station, standing by my front gate. Oh what joy!! She would scoop me in her arms as soon as she arrived. I would start looking for my gifts in the one bag she carried from her home. She wasn't financially very well off, so to say, but that never deterred her from bringing me my choicest sweets and gifts. She would fish out "glass bangles" and "Milk Cake" for me as soon as she came in. I would sit in her lap and soak up all the love and affection she was so full of.

I miss you Mausi!!

I fail to accept till date that she is no more with us. God can never make another of your kind. As Diwali comes up in a week, people are so full of joy, and excitement. All I feel is an emptiness. You left us. You left me.

No comments: